What type of garments do you want to decorate?
The type of garment plays an important part when deciding whether to opt for print or embroidery. Here are a few things to consider;
- We would advise not to print on fleece garments as the pile in the material can be compromised by heat and pressure.
- Equally, if you require your waterproofs to remain 100% waterproof, punching lots of tiny holes in the material for embroidery is going to expose the wearer to water ingress. There are special threads, backings and sprays which can be used to help combat any leakages, but we still advise against embroidery on waterproofs if they are going to be used in heavy downpours.
- Lightweight fabrics with a low gsm (weight) such as lightweight t-shirts may not be able to take an embroidered large logo with a high stitch count as the material tends to pucker up the fabric. The same goes for any sports/breathable materials such as 100% polyester.
The type of design will be an important factor to consider when choosing the method of decoration for your garments;
- The size of your design will play a big role. If you have a large design, print is usually the better option. A large embroidery design can weigh the garment down and affect how the garment hangs or retains its shape over time with washing and general wear.
- How complex is your design? An intricate or highly detailed design will look better printed. If you have a simple logo or just text, embroidery is usually the preferred choice as it gives a more professional appearance. However, if you're not sure about the complexity of your logo, don't be put off, we are experts when it comes to knowing what will or won't work with embroidery and will be happy to advise.
We often get asked which process is more expensive. The answer depends on how complex your logo is, how many colours it has and the quantity you require.
With embroidery there is a one off set up fee of £19. For embroidery your design will need to be made and digitised, this is what this fee covers. However, there is no charge for this on repeat orders. The size of your embroidery will also affect the cost. The larger the design, the higher the cost will be due to the increased production time.
If you are looking for print, the cost will increase the more colours you require. But for both prnt and embroidery we offer quantity discounts, so the more you order the cheaper each individual decoration becomes.
Benefits of Embroidery
- Embroidery gives a more classic look and finish.
- Can be easier to care for. Certain print vinyls need to be washed below certain. temperatures and some do not allow for dry cleaning.
- You can achieve a variety of texture finishes with embroidery.
- Gives a more 3D effect.
Benefits of Printing
- Ideal for waterproof garments.
- Larger designs work better with print.
- You can achieve a higher level of detail and shading.
- Unlimited colour spectrum.
- Extra effects such as glitter or reflective (hi vis etc)